Sunday 15 February 2009

The Smiths to reform ?


People are often surprised when they ask me my all time favourite band and I answer The Smiths. I suppose being born in 1948 I am supposed to say The Beatles or The Stones or even The Kinks [who are all excellent in their own unique way].

But when Morrissey and Marr started The Smiths back in 1982 I was working for Granada TV as a reporter based in Manchester, so I was very much aware of them from the start.
Lyrically there is nobody better.

"And if a double-decker bus
Crashes into us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten-ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine"

I will not insult Smiths fans out there by naming the song but Morrissey's use of words is up there with the best poets of our time. Similarly Marr was one of the greatest guitarists I have ever heard. Richard can't stand them and comes out with the classic line, 'The Smiths are depressing' whenever they are discussed.

No group has ever divided opinion as much as The Smiths. It seems you either love them or hate them. Apart from liking The Stone Roses, Richard is essentially a Soul Man and sometimes I think he misses Morrissey's irony.

Within the entertainment industry rumours are rife that Morrissey and Marr are considering re-uniting for a one off gig, possibly Glastonbury. I hope this becomes a more permanent thing because to be honest I haven't been to an outside festival since 1985 and I am not too sure I fancy standing in a muddy field all day. But you never know, I might make an exception in this case.

Our production team is trying desperately to get Morrissey on the show. He is supposed to be on Jonathan Ross next friday and I know he is not a fan of interviews so maybe he will announce something then. Fingers crossed.

"And if you must, go to work - tomorrow
Well, if I were you I really wouldn't bother
For there are brighter sides to life
And I should know, because I've seen them
But not very often ..."

Well if the snow comes down again this weekend Stephen I might just take your advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment